May 16 @ 9:00 am - May 17 @ 4:00 pm
This workshop will help you understand the nature of the mind and how to develop concentration and inner stability. Participants are guided in basic techniques with the aim of helping them to establish a daily practice.
Techniques to be covered:
Yantra Meditation- In the yoga tradition yantras are geometric diagrams, composed mostly of triangles, squares, circles, and lotus leaves, that symbolically represent a chosen deity's energy field. Just as a mantra is an audio aid for meditation so a yantra is a visual tool that brings ones awareness and points the way back to its divine source.
Mindfulness Meditation- A process of purposely bringing one's attention to experiences occurring in the present moment without judgment.
Bakta Meditation- Mantra chanting. Mantras, when spoken or chanted, direct the healing power of Prana (life force energy) and, in traditional Vedic practices, can be used to energize and access spiritual states of consciousness, the mantra is meant to bring you back to simplicity. The power of abstract mantras. Deeper understanding of the saguna mantras.
Walking Meditation-Walking meditation is a practice within several forms of Buddhism that involve movement and periods of walking between long periods of sitting meditation. This technique involves the body. As one's mind starts to wander, one concentrates on the movement of body parts and on the breathing.
Some benefits of meditation include:
- Reduces the frequency and intensity of anxiety attacks as it lowers blood pressure
- Builds self-confidence
- Increases serotonin levels which influence moods and behavior
- Low levels of serotonin are associated with depression, headaches and insomnia
- Enhances energy, strength and vigor
- Helps normalize blood pressure
- Reduces overall stress and tension
- Creates a state of deep relaxation and general feeling of wellbeing
- Helps with pre-menstrual issues
- Increases concentrative ability
- Helps reduce the effects of heart disease
- Helps promote weight loss
- Improves digestive efficiency
- Lowers heart rate